Apr 19 2012
Want to know what’s involved in being a Senior Production Manager? So did we! We caught up with Tony Harding, Senior Production Manager at Arts Centre Melbourne who’s also looked after The Famous Spiegel Season.
1. What is involved in being a Senior Production Manager?
I manage a team of Production Managers who are responsible for the technical requirements of shows that Arts Centre Melbourne presents. This includes liaising with the artists, booking gear, scheduling crew and generally making sure the show ‘goes up’.
2. Most enjoyable part of your role?
The people, first and foremost. There’s a great sense of the theatre ‘family’ amongst artists, staff and crew. It’s always good to welcome back a performer to Arts Centre Melbourne.
3. What are the challenges of your position?
Sometimes realising a performer’s vision can be challenging. Budgets, time and sometimes basic physics can hold you back.
4. Other than The Famous Spiegel Season, what other Arts Centre Melbourne projects are you involved in?
I keep an eye on all the projects at Arts Centre Melbourne to make sure they run smoothly. We have some major projects coming up with the re-opening of Hamer Hall. Specifically I’m putting two independent theatre performances into the Fairfax Studio and then turning my head to Lipsync in the Playhouse.
5. Who is the most famous/interesting/unique person you’ve met as a result of your job?
If I had to choose a favourite it would have to be the international diva, Meow Meow. She is a crazy, talented and loveable pussycat.
6. What’s been your favourite performance of The Famous Spiegel Season so far?
7. Any funny stories you’d like to share?
What, you’ve got the whole Comedy Festival to turn to and you ask me to be funny?